To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
A 78-year-old man evacuated from the coronavirus-stricken Diamond Princess cruise liner in Japan died in a Perth hospital Sunday, becoming Australia’s first fatality from the disease, officials said.The man died in the early hours of Sunday morning, a spokeswoman for the Western Australian state health department told AFP.His 79-year-old wife was also infected with the disease during the cruise and remains in a Perth hospital.Topics :
“Due to the ongoing and fluid nature of the COVID-19 situation globally, the FIA, Formula One and the three promoters have taken these decisions in order to ensure the health and safety of the travelling staff, championship participants and fans, which remains our primary concern,” a joint statement from F1 and the FIA read.All parties said they would study the viability of finding alternative dates to run the races later in the year, and the statement added that Formula 1 and the FIA expect to be able to begin the 2020 season “as soon as it’s safe to do so after May”, but will continue to monitor the situation.The earliest the new season can now start is on June 7 in Azerbaijan.The postponements are the latest to have hit a sporting calendar turned upside down by the coronavirus outbreak, which has 217,510 cases with 9,020 deaths across 157 countries and territories as of 1100 GMT Thursday.The European football championships and Copa America have been both pushed back by 12 months to 2021. But the International Olympic Committee have so far pledged to carry on with the Tokyo Olympics, scheduled to run between July 24-August 9.Topics : The Dutch, Spanish and Monaco Formula One Grand Prix races were on Thursday postponed due to the global spread of coronavirus, officials announced.The triple postponements follow the cancellation of the season-opening Australian Grand Prix last week, and the postponement of the Chinese, Bahrain and Vietnam Grand Prix races.The Dutch GP, due to return to the calendar for the first time since 1985, was set to be held at Zandvoort on May 1-3, with the Spanish race following a week later, and the Monaco Grand Prix on May 21-24.
Pennsylvanians Urged to Monitor Weather, Prepare for Heavy Rain and Possible Flooding SHARE Email Facebook Twitter Press Release, PSA, Weather Safety Harrisburg, PA – With the threat of heavy rain expected to impact much of the commonwealth overnight tonight, Governor Tom Wolf and the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency (PEMA) are reminding citizens to monitor weather conditions and prepare for possible flooding.“The best way to approach impending adverse weather is by being prepared and accessing accurate information from experts,” Governor Wolf said. “PEMA, county emergency personnel and law enforcement are the state’s experts and their warnings should be heeded.”PEMA advises people to have multiple ways to get severe weather alerts, such as a NOAA weather radio or cell phone alerts. Local media outlets are also a good source of local weather information and conditions.“Parts of the state could see as much as three inches of rain by the time this system ends,” said PEMA Director Richard D. Flinn, Jr. “We’re not expecting significant river flooding, but people need to be mindful of the possibility of small creek and stream flooding, and in urban or poor drainage areas where flooding is common.”PEMA notes that it’s important for people to understand the difference between a watch and a warning because they represent different levels of action to be taken.A flood or flash flood watch means that conditions are favorable for flooding to occur. Residents should stay alert and watch for rapidly rising waters, including rivers and streams, and be prepared to move to high ground quickly.A flood or flash flood warning means that there is actual flooding, or flooding is imminent. Residents should act at once and move to high ground.Always follow the guidance of local emergency personnel or law enforcement if you are told to evacuate. Be familiar with multiple ways to evacuate places where you spend a lot of time, such as your home and work location.Motorists should be prepared for travel delays or road closures due to heavy rain and possible flooding. Motorists who drive around or through signs or traffic control devices closing a road or highway due to hazardous conditions could face increased fines, particularly if the violation requires emergency responders to be called. While water on a flooded road might not look deep, the road could actually be washed away under the water, or the road could be compromised in a way that could make it unsafe to travel. April 15, 2018
Listings are up in most capital cities.NEW figures reveal a surge in property listings throughout Australia, with only one capital city experiencing a drop.The latest SQM Research listing report revealed that in February listings were up in every capital city except Hobart, where they dropped by 2.7 per cent.In Brisbane listings rose by 2.4 per cent for the month to reach 29,565 in February. Over the past year listings were up only 0.7 per cent.Brisbane’s increase was fairly small compared to Sydney, which rose 19.3 per cent in February and Melbourne which went up by 19.1 per cent during the same period.More from newsNew apartments released at idyllic retirement community Samford Grove Presented by Parks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus20 hours agoSQM Research managing director Louis Christopher said the rise in listings during February was to be expected after the January holidays finished.He said the rise in listings would help take the pressure off asking prices as buyers had more to choose from and were in a better negotiating position.He said in Hobart there was a shortfall of properties which would keep prices buoyant.At the same time as listings increased asking prices softened in many capital cities.In Brisbane asking prices for houses were up 0.1 per cent during February but for units were down 0.3 per cent.Sydney asking prices for houses were down 1.5 per cent and for units 0.6 per cent. While Melbourne asking prices for houses dropped 0.6 per cent and for units were up just 0.5 per cent.
Family First have released a report analysing the 2007 anti-smacking law which states that there is not a single social indicator relating to the abuse of children that has shown significant or sustained improvement since the passing of the law and that they’ve continued to get worse.Family First’s national director Bob McCoskrie joined Paul Henry to discuss the report.Mr McCoskrie says that while the law change may have been well-intentioned it did not address the real issue of abusive parents.The repeal of section 59 of the Crimes Act in 2007 removed the defence of “reasonable force” for adults who smacked their children.Watch the video to see the full interview with Mr McCoskrie.Read more: http://www.newshub.co.nz/tvshows/paulhenry/children-still-being-abused—bob-mccoskrie-2016021111#ixzz3zoMhenpm
Bulldogs top the Connersville Spartans 12-0 in 6 innings.Bryan Hoeing throws a no hitter with 76 total pitches.The team as a whole had 10 hits and no errors in the field.Batesville vs. Connersville Baseball (4-10)Next game: vs. Rushville – Monday 4/14Season Record: 1-0Submitted by Batesville Coach Alex Davis.
Indianapolis, In. — Over the next two weeks, Indiana high school students will pitch their innovative ideas during the second round of the 2019 Innovate WithIN™ pitch competition, a statewide initiative hosted by the Indiana Economic Development Corporation, Indiana Department of Education and Ball State University. New to this year’s program, middle school students will also participate in innovation-focused workshops at the regional competitions, fostering the students’ entrepreneurial and critical-thinking skills while introducing them to real-world business concepts.After submitting video pitches for the first round of the competition, more than 65 teams were selected to pitch their ideas to a panel of judges, which include local and regional economic development partners, entrepreneurs, academics and company executives. Overall, Innovate WithIN™ drew 158 online pitch submissions this year – a 83 percent increase in applications from 2018 – from 422 Hoosier students representing 88 high schools across the state. Additionally, more than 235 middle school students registered for the program’s new ideation sessions.The finalists from each region will be invited to Indianapolis for the final round of the competition on April 4.Regional Competition Schedule: Monday, March 4: Region One (Southwest Indiana)Middle School Ideation Session – 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.Pitch Competition – 2:15 to 4 p.m.Westgate Academy, 13598 E. WestGate Dr., OdonTuesday, March 5: Region Two (Southeast Indiana)Middle School Ideation Session – 10 a.m. to noonPitch Competition – 1:30 to 4 p.m.Mid-America Science Park, 821 S. Lake Road S., ScottsburgThursday, March 7: Region Six (Northwest Indiana)Middle School Ideation Session – 10 a.m. to noon (CST)Pitch Competition – 1:30 to 4 p.m. (CST)Purdue University Northwest, 2200 169th St., HammondFriday, March 8: Region Seven (North Central Indiana)Middle School Ideation Session – 10 a.m. to noonPitch Competition – 1:30 to 4 p.m.Christo’s Banquet Center, 830 Lincoln Highway E., PlymouthMonday, March 11: Region Nine (Central Indiana)Middle School Ideation Session – 10 a.m. to noonPitch Competition – 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.Ivy Tech Indianapolis, 2820 N. Meridian St., IndianapolisTuesday, March 12: Region Eight (Northeast Indiana)Middle School Ideation Session – 10 a.m. to noonPitch Competition – 1:30 to 4 p.m.The Summit, 1025 W. Rudisill Blvd., Fort WayneWednesday, March 13: Region Five (West Central Indiana – Lafayette)Middle School Ideation Session – 10 a.m. to noonPitch Competition – 1:30 to 4 p.m.Ivy Tech Lafayette, 3101 S. Creasy Lane, LafayetteThursday, March 14: Region Three (West Central Indiana – Terre Haute)Middle School Ideation Session – 10 a.m. to noonPitch Competition – 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.Ivy Tech Terre Haute, 8000 S. Education Dr., Terre HauteFriday, March 15: Region Four (East Central Indiana)Middle School Ideation Session – 10 a.m. to noonPitch Competition – 1:30 to 4 p.m.Ball State University Alumni Center, 2800 Bethel Ave., Muncie
“It’s easy to say; it’s very difficult to do it when you are on the pitch and you are trying to stop the opposition from scoring, so I have nothing to say to Wes. “He did what was needed at that time. Unfortunately, it was late and it was a sending-off.” The Black Cats’ woes increased with 16 minutes gone when Long headed them in front, and their misery was complete 17 minutes after the restart when fellow new boy Nikica Jelavic scored his first goal for the club after Maynor Figueroa’s long-range attempt looped up nicely for him off defender Santiago Vergini. Sunderland, who have spent much of the season to date anchored inside the bottom three, had started the day in 14th place, but ended it in 17th and just a point clear of the drop zone. They head for title challengers Manchester City on Wednesday evening knowing they cannot afford another off day if they are to stand any chance of returning with a positive result. However, Poyet for one will not be reading too much into Saturday’s performance and result. He said: “We can talk about how (Hull) planned the game or how they wanted to play, but at the end of the day, they won the game because Wes Brown got sent off, that’s the bottom line. “For five or six games, they couldn’t win before this one, so something went for them. “That can happen on Wednesday, it can happen in two weeks’ time for us, I suppose. It’s not always against.” Opposite number Steve Bruce left Wearside a much happier man than when he last did so having been shown the door by Sunderland in November 2011. Bruce was particularly pleased with his front two, but midfielder Livermore, on loan for the season from Tottenham, was equally impressive. He said: “I thought he was outstanding. He’s been a terrific loan signing for us, a terrific loan signing. “We will do our utmost to make it permanent if we can, but obviously we have got to stay in this division first, if that’s possible.” Sunderland boss Gus Poyet is glad to see the back of Hull after suffering a setback at their hands for the second time in his short reign. The Black Cats saw their recent Barclays Premier League recovery stall on Saturday as they went down 2-0 to the Tigers at the Stadium of Light after central defender Wes Brown was dismissed with less than four minutes played. It was all painfully reminiscent of Poyet’s third game in charge when he sent his side into battle at the KC Stadium on November 2 and saw both Lee Cattermole and Andrea Dossena sent off before half-time as Carlos Cuellar’s own goal handed the home side victory. Press Association The 46-year-old said: “It wasn’t to be. It was one of those days when it doesn’t matter how you play or what you do because something will happen and go against you. “I’m very pleased that we don’t play Hull any more this season because every time we play them, something happens.” Brown’s premature exit proved to be the pivotal moment in a game which slipped from his side’s grasp before it had really begun. Phil Bardsley’s poor back pass put Shane Long in on goal and the former Manchester United defender’s efforts to rectify the damage resulted in a sliding challenge which sent the £7million January signing sprawling. Referee Mike Jones had little option but to show Brown a red card – his third of the season, although one was later rescinded on appeal – but Sunderland were at least spared further punishment as the offence was committed marginally outside the penalty area. Poyet later admitted it might have been better to allow Long to go on and shoot, but did not blame his player for his illegal intervention. He said: “It was a little bit of bad play plus a decision. In modern football now, sometimes I don’t know if it is better to allow the opposition player to have a shot. “We would be losing 1-0, but it would be 11 v 11 with 87 minutes to play.
The Potters head into this weekend’s slate of games occupying the bottom three along with fellow winless outfits Sunderland and Newcastle. However, Hughes is relaxed over their slow start to the season which has included fixtures against Liverpool, Tottenham and Arsenal. “It’s early days, we have no anxiety,” Hughes said. “We know we’re a good group of players and the first win will come, ideally at the weekend.” Both Stoke and Leicester have failed to keep a clean sheet this term and Claudio Ranieri has offered the incentive of free pizza if his players manage to keep a shut-out on Saturday. Rather than following the Italian’s lead, Hughes’ squad might get treated to a delicacy closer to home instead. “We’ll go for oatcakes, I think; a lot nicer,” he said. Bojan Krkic could be included in Stoke’s starting XI this weekend after boss Mark Hughes said he feels the Spaniard is close to delivering his pre-injury form. “He’s been desperate to play for about five weeks,” Hughes said. “He’s understanding of the fact that I’ll pick him on merit, I’ll pick him when I feel he’s ready and I’ll pick him when I feel he can have the same impact as he had prior to the injury. He’s very, very close to that point. “We’re delighted that he’s an option so early. We didn’t really expect him to be in my thoughts at this stage given the injury that he had. As a consequence of how well he worked and the amount of work he put in, he deserves a lot of credit. “We’re delighted we’re in the position we find ourselves in and I have the option to pick him if I want.” It may be eight months since Bojan last started a game for Hughes but the Welshman praised his “tenacity and drive” in getting himself fit again and believes those qualities will serve him well as he looks to kick-start winless Stoke’s season. “There was a lot of expectation on him because he had a huge impact for us,” Hughes added. “Everybody wants him to come back and make that immediate impact. If the timing of his comeback wasn’t managed correctly, he wouldn’t be in the position to come back and make the impact that we think he will do when he’s back playing regularly.” Striker Mame Diouf is once again struggling with a hamstring issue and may miss the visit of the Foxes, although Glen Johnson has trained this week following a groin strain and captain Ryan Shawcross is jogging again after a back operation. The 25-year-old ex-Barcelona and Roma forward last began a Barclays Premier League game in January, when he got the winner against Leicester, who visit the Britannia Stadium on Saturday. Later that month cruciate knee ligament damage finished a season in which he had scored five times in 18 appearances but – having featured in the Capital One Cup and as a substitute against Arsenal this term – Hughes believes Bojan is already near the levels he produced prior to his injury. Press Association