Governor Wolf Announces More Aid to Puerto Rico, Calls for Swifter Federal Action to Help Americans September 27, 2017 National Issues, Press Release Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf today said more Pennsylvania resources are headed to Puerto Rico and that the state is ready and willing to fulfill federal aid requests. Governor Wolf called on the federal government to act with greater urgency to assist millions of residents in the American territory facing a humanitarian crisis.“The images of Americans in Puerto Rico facing this humanitarian crisis and desperate for aid are unconscionable, and there is absolutely no good reason that the executive and legislative branches are not acting more swiftly to protect these American citizens,” Governor Wolf said.“The President can’t wait to send Congress another disaster-spending request until mid-October. The time to act is now. Lift the Jones Act to allow foreign shipping vessels into Puerto Rico to deliver desperately needed fuel and supplies. The more than three million U.S. citizens in Puerto Rico deserve so much better.”Pennsylvania is monitoring requests for assistance from Puerto Rico and the federal government for resources, as it did with Texas and Florida. Most recently, Pennsylvania fulfilled a request through the Emergency Management Assistance Compact for two helicopters and crews, a request filled by the Pennsylvania National Guard. In addition, several members of PA-Task Force 1 are providing incident support on the ground in Puerto Rico through the National Urban Search and Rescue system.“While we understand the need to initially assess the situation, the time has long passed for determining how to get the most basic needs such as electricity and water to the people of Puerto Rico. For the federal government to do so little is inhumane.” SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
OVER $1M in cold hard cash will be up for grabs at this year’s edition of the Boyce and Jefford Relay Festival and Family Fun, which will feature an addition of two new relays and two cycle races and an increase in the cash prizes.The event, which is set for April 30 at the Police Sports Club ground, Eve Leary, was officially launched yesterday morning at Palm Court Restaurant, with remarks from the organisers Edison Jefford and Colin Boyce, representatives from a few of the sponsors: STAG Brand Manager Lindon Henry, Director of Sport Christopher Jones, and Palm Court Manager Sasha Lewis.This year marks the second edition of the annual event which began last year. Jefford noted that the organisation was even more encouraged to continue the event after last year’s turnout.“We exceeded all expectations last year, where we filled the Police Sports Club ground to capacity. This year we expect similar patronage from sports fan and enthusiasts,” Jefford said.This year the event will see two additions – 4x200m and 4x400m mixed relays – which will involve teams each comprising two males and two females. These two events will add to the other eight events already on the card of the annual event.The other events are the 4x100m, 4x400m, sprint medley, and distance medley male and female relays.A total $500 000 in prize money will be doled out in the races, with each race carrying a $50 000 purse divided up with $25 000 for first place, $15 000 for second and $10 000 for third. This marks a growth from the $40 000 per race last year.The two cycle races will also carry prizes of $50 000 each with the same breakdown. The two races will be a male Devil-takes-the-Hindmost and a female 2 000m.Complementing the races will be the dominoes, cricket and football competitions, as well as two novelty events. There will also be a ‘Kid Zone’ with bouncy castles, trampolines, face-painting and other attractions. This year will see the introduction of four gate prizes ranging from $20 000 cash to household hampers.“All in all you can see that this year there is additional entertainment. Apart from the main events we had some other activities to entertain a wider cross section of spectating public. And we are encouraging one and all to come out. The gate prizes alone would encourage persons to buy more than one ticket,” Boyce said, as he urged patrons to come out in support.Henry and Lewis also commended organisers for catering to a wide cross section of patrons.“There’s no better way to come together and have some fun than through sports, and that’s the reason for this event. And when you come together to have fun there’s no better way to do that, than with STAG, and that’s the reason for this collaboration,” Henry said with a smile.“The package that is offered in this event is the reason for STAG being on board with the event. There’s the track event, the football, there’s some grassroots stuff, there’s some high end, there’s the cycling, and for those who are not athletic there’s the dominoes game. No doubt there is something in here for everybody. We could agree that this is a recipe for a fun event.”The event is being sponsored by Ansa McAl under their Lucozade Energy Drink and STAG brands, the National Sports Commission, Jude Cycle Shop, and Star Party Rentals.
(CMC) – Keemo Paul produced a sensational spell of fast bowling to spur the Delhi Capitals to a spectacular 39-run victory over the Sunrisers Hyderabad.Paul grabbed three wickets for 17 runs from his four overs to help trigger a dramatic collapse as Hyderabad were dismissed for 116 in pursuit of the Capitals’ total of 155 for seven from their 20 overs.Led by a half-century opening stand between David Warner and Jonny Bairstow, Hyderabad seemed to be cruising at 72 without loss inside of ten overs.But once Paul, who was voted Man-of-the-Match, accounted for Bairstow’s scalp, it all went downhill for Hyderabad.Keemo Paul (left) took three wickets to lead the Capitals to a shocking winHe followed that up by dismissing captain Kane Williamson for three and then Ricky Bhui for seven, to leave the score 101 for three.From thereon, Kagiso Rabada ran through the middle order claiming four scalps, including the prized wicket of Warner for the top score of 51, as Hyderabad lost their remaining seven wickets for just 15 runs.So embarrassing was Hyderabad’s batters that only Bhui made more than the five extras which were conceded by the Capitals.In another match, both Sunil Narine and Andre Russell failed with the bat as the Kolkata Knight Riders went down by five wickets to the Chennai Super Kings.Opening the batting, Narine made just two from seven balls, while Russell hit two boundaries in his knock of 10, as KKR could only muster 161 for eight in their 20 overs.Chennai then got up to 162 for five with two balls to spare, thanks hugely to an unbeaten 58 from Suresh Raina and 31 not out from Ravindra Jadeja.Narine did manage to claim two wickets for 19 runs from his four overs, while Russell’s solitary over went for 16 runs.
Natalie Klein, co-chair of the advisory board for Classical KDFC Radio, and her husband, USC Trustee Ken Klein, donated $1 million on Tuesday to Classical KDFC Radio, the university-owned radio station serving the Bay Area.This was the largest donation to USC Radio its 66-year history. The donation was part of the station’s endowment for the “For the Music” campaign.USC Radio, which also owns Classical KUSC in Los Angeles, purchased KDFC in 2011. KDFC and KUSC are two of the largest and most popular public radio and nonprofit classical music stations in the United States, according to a KDFC San Francisco Classical news release.USC Radio’s goal is to reach $10 million in capital investments in order to build a permanent home. KDFC hopes to raise $7.5 million for startup and operating funds and $1.5 million for expansion efforts. The Kleins’ $1 million donation covers 100 percent of the proposed amount for its future endowment.Ken Klein has served on the USC Board of Trustees since 2009 and graduated from USC in 1982 with a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering and biomedical engineering. He said USC’s support for Classical KDFC Radio can in turn support future Trojans and alumni and that he has also had a long-held interest in music and the arts.“I see the preservation of this station as linking what the university is doing with the arts to the needs of the Bay Area community, which is a very important community to USC in terms of incoming students and alumni,” Klein said. “With its six arts schools and its incredible support of world-class classical music, USC and KDFC share a common love of the arts.”President C. L. Max Nikias said the Kleins’ donation significantly impacts campaign efforts.“Natalie and Ken Klein stand among USC’s most dedicated supporters, and their commitment to classical radio is evidenced by their extraordinary generosity,” Nikias said in a statement. “Their exceptional gift will do so much to bring classical music to listeners throughout our state.”This was not the Kleins’ first contribution to the school. In 2006, they founded USC’s Klein Institute for Undergraduate Engineering Life. This institute is focused on preparing students with collaboration and service skills for their future careers.