Dennis Rodman was one of the toughest and most flamboyant player in the NBA. In the ’90s, the notorious 6 foot 8 inch controversial basketball player was the No. 1 rebounder on the court. But he was just as famous for his dyed hair, piercings, tattoos and press-grabbing antics—on and off the court.Rodman sat down with Sports Illustrated at a horror convention where he was signing copies of his children’s book and disclosed some private things that you might not have known about him.Watch the video in the player above and share your thoughts in the comments below.
Lawyers for Alex Rodriguez filed suit in U.S. District Court claiming that arbitrator Fredric Horowitz, who handed down a 162-game ban on Saturday, was biased in his ruling.The suit seeks to vacate Horowitz’s ruling, based on the arbitrator’s “manifest disregard for the law,” his “evident partiality,” and refusal “to entertain evidence that was pertinent and material to the outcome.”The complaint calls the 162-game ban “wholly unjustifiable” and alleges that Horowitz ignored the stipulation of baseball’s Joint Drug Agreement that calls for a 50-game ban for a first-time drug offense.“He ignored the clear disciplinary action of the JDA,” the complaint reads, referring to the arbitrator. “Accordingly, the arbitration award is not legitimate as it does not draw its essence from the JDA or [C]BA.”Horowitz explained in his ruling that he factored in “Rodriguez'[s] obstruction of MLB’s investigation” and “the prolonged time period … with which he used or possessed the three prohibited substances.”“While the length of the suspension may be unprecedented for a MLB player,” Horowitz wrote, “so is the misconduct he committed.”Rodriguez’s 42-page complaint names Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association as defendants and includes among its exhibits Horowitz’s written ruling on A-Rod’s appeal.In it, Rodriguez alleges the players’ union breached its “duty of fair representation” and charges MLB and the MLBPA with imposing a suspension without just cause.“It is unfortunate that Alex Rodriguez has chosen to sue the players association,” MLBPA executive director Tony Clark said in a statement. “His claim is completely without merit, and we will aggressively defend ourselves and our members from these baseless charges.”Earlier in the afternoon, U.S. District Judge William H. Pauley III cleared the way for the release of Horowitz’s decision, which was opposed by the players’ association on the grounds it could violate the confidentiality pact in baseball’s collective bargaining agreement.Pauley ruled that baseball had already violated the confidentiality agreement when Commissioner Bud Selig and COO Rob Manfred, who ran baseball’s investigation into Rodriguez’s involvement with the Biogenesis anti-aging clinic suspected of supplying ballplayers with illegal performance enhancing drugs, were interviewed on CBS-TV’s “60 Minutes” on Sunday night.“Given the intense public interest in this matter and Commissioner Selig’s disclosures last night on ’60 Minutes,’ it’s difficult to imagine that any portion of this proceeding should be under seal,” Pauley said. “Mr. Rodriguez is directed to file his unredacted complaint with the attached exhibits.”“We’re thrilled,” Jordan Siev, one of Rodriguez’s attorneys, told ESPNNewYork.com. “We want the entire record to be public. We want everyone to be able to see exactly what [Anthony] Bosch said.”Bosch, the proprietor of the now-shuttered clinic, was baseball’s key witness against Rodriguez.The complaint alleges that Horowitz denied Rodriguez and his attorneys the right to cross-examine Bosch and Selig, who opted not to testify in the appeal. The complaint also alleges that Horowitz denied Rodriguez’s attorneys the right to examine the BlackBerry devices that baseball alleges were used to transmit incriminating text messages between Rodriguez and Bosch.“These are only some of the egregious actions taken by Arbitrator Horowitz during the grievance process, each of which standing alone warrants vacatur of the arbitration award,” the complaint reads. “And together they demonstrate the inherent unfairness and pre-ordained result attendant to the arbitration process.”
Welch’s feelings of abandonment aside, the song’s emotional and sonic extravagance remind us why the album is so highly anticipated. The first two singles released from High As Hope were “Sky Full Of Song,” which previewed in April, followed by “Hunger” in May, currently running more than 13 million views on YouTube for its official video.The band’s previous album was 2015’s GRAMMY nominated How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful, which reached No.1 on the Billboard 200 that summer. Florence + The Machine will begin their North American tour for their upcoming album on Aug. 5 in Montreal, Canada. Dates continue through Oct. 20 in Minneapolis, Minn.Tour information and tickets are available via the band’s website.Catching Up On Music News Powered By The Recording Academy Just Got Easier. Have A Google Home Device? “Talk To GRAMMYs”Read more News Florence + The Machine Drop New Single “Big God” From ‘High As Hope’ Twitter https://twitter.com/flo_tweet/status/1009108606367739904 Email Listen: Florence + The Machine’s “Big God” florence-machine-drop-new-single-big-god-high-hope The build up for the group’s ‘High As Hope’ grows more intense with the release of its latest stark-yet-lush balladPhilip MerrillGRAMMYs Jun 19, 2018 – 1:32 pm The new Florence + The Machine album High As Hope is due out on June 29, and on June 19, Florence Welch unleashed its third preview track, “Big God.”Built on a simple piano bassline, the song brings in flute and features Kamasi Washington on saxophone. Emilie Haynie co-produced the track with Welch and Jamie xx co-wrote the song. Welch said “Big God” is about “obviously, an unfillable hole in the soul … but mainly about someone not replying to my text.” Facebook
Apple Beats The NBA has teamed up with Apple’s Beats headphone brand to let followers of six teams flaunt their fandom. A special collection of the Beats Studio 3 Wireless can now match your courtside ensemble in 76ers Blue, Celtics Black, Lakers Purple, Raptors White, Rockets Red and Warriors Royal, each subtly emblazoned with the team’s logo.The plain old Studio 3 Wireless are discounted to $280, so you’ll pay more for these fancy, full-price ones at $350. Boston Celtics, LA Lakers, Houston Rockets and Golden State Warriors supporters can get theirs now. Philadelphia 76ers and Toronto Raptors models are listed as “coming soon.”These noise-cancelling headphones are winners, too, incorporating Apple’s W1 wireless chip for easy pairing with your iPhone and other Apple devices. Now playing: Watch this: CNET may get a commission from retail offers. Headphones Aug 31 • iPhone XR vs. iPhone 8 Plus: Which iPhone should you buy? Mentioned Above Beats Studio3 Wireless (Blue) Best Buy $279 2 Preview • New Beats Studio3 Wireless sound better and last longer $279 See All See It Walmart $279 Apple 45 Photos How to choose the right headphones Best wireless Bluetooth headphones for iPhone XS, XS Max and XR Share your voice Tags Aug 31 • Best places to sell your used electronics in 2019 Comments Beats Studio3 Wireless Sep 1 • iPhone 11, Apple Watch 5 and more: The final rumors See It Apple Aug 31 • Your phone screen is gross. Here’s how to clean it • See it 1:19 Apple See It reading • Apple Beats ‘NBA Collection’ headphones court Lakers, Celtics, 76ers fans $279 Review • Beats Studio3 Wireless review: Price drop makes it more attractive
Journalist files complaint against Salman Khan.InstagramOne Mumbai-based journalist has reportedly filed a criminal complaint against superstar Salman Khan, accusing him and his bodyguards of physically assaulting him.The journalist named Ashok S. Pandey has filed the case at the 10th Court in Mumbai stating that Salman and his aids physically assaulted him and also tried to destroy his phone.In his complaint, Ashok stated that on April 24, while driving through Juhu to Kandivali, he spotted Salman cycling on the road with his two bodyguards. According to him, he sought permission from the two escorts to record Salman on his phone, and the two agreed. However, when Salman noticed that he was being filmed, the two bodyguards started assaulting him, and the actor also allegedly joined them.The complainant stated that Salman snatched away his phone, and tried to destroy it. “The matter will come up for hearing on July 12. At that time, the court will decide whether the police will be directed to conduct an investigation, or issue summons to the accused,” Ashok told IANS.It is to be mentioned that Ashok had filed a complaint right after the alleged incident happened, but the police reportedly disposed the case off stating there was no crime committed, the complainant said.In his fresh complaint, Ashok asked the Court to order police to carry out a detailed investigation into the matter, and accordingly take action against Salman.He even stated that one of the bodyguards of Salman called him, and asked him to settle the matter outside the court.Meanwhile, Salman’s latest release Bharat has had a good run at the box office, crossing Rs 200 crore at the domestic market. The movie received mixed reviews from the critics, but has managed to earn profits for its producers.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni in Indian Army uniform.TwitterFormer Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni is probably going to hoist the Indian tricolour on Independence Day in Leh district of the recently created union territory of Ladakh. The 38-year old cricketer, who is a Lieutenant Colonel (Honorary) of the Parachute Regiment of the Territorial Army, is currently with his battalion (106 Para TA battalion) in the Kashmir Valley.The World Cup-winning former Indian skipper is stationed at Khrew in Pulwama district along with his battalion. He joined his unit on July 30 and is doing the duties of patrolling, guard and post duty till August 15. According to defence sources, the cricketer is scheduled to travel to Leh on August 10 along with his regiment.As reported by IANS, a senior army official said that Dhoni is a brand ambassador of the Indian Army and he acts as a motivator for his unit.”Dhoni is a brand ambassador of the Indian Army. He has engaged in motivating members of his unit and has often been playing football and volleyball with the soldiers. He is also undertaking battle training exercises with the corps. He will remain in the valley till August 15,” the senior army official was quoted as saying by IANS Cricket World Cup TwitterThe official, however, did not disclose the exact location at which Dhoni is probably going to hoist the national flag. It is a part of the initiative undertaken by the Union government to hoist the tricolour in every village of Jammu and Kashmir for Independence day celebration. The government on August 5 revoked the Article 370 of the Constitution withdrawing special status given to Jammu and Kashmir and dividing the state into two union territories.Dhoni was present in the former state when all these things happened. The 38-year-old cricketer took a two-month break from professional cricket to serve the Indian Army after Team India exited the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019. There were rumours about the ageing cricketer hanging up his boots, but the wicket-keeper batsman rubbished all rumours and stated that he will be back in the team after his break.
X Listen 00:00 /01:04 To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: Florian MartinMD Anderson physician-in-chief Tom Buchholz, CFO Dan Fontaine and President Ronald DePinho (from left) announce the layoffs during a news conference Thursday, Jan. 5, 2017.The MD Anderson Cancer Center is laying off between 800 and 900 of its 20,000 employees – mostly in administrative roles, including executive and manager positions.No doctors will be let go. “We’ve primarily focused on those areas where we could make some staff reductions, re-engineer some of the administrative support for the institution and obviously not affect the quality of the patient care and certainly the frontline providers,” Dan Fontaine, MD Anderson’s chief financial officer, said.The layoffs became necessary because of a continuing budget deficit, he said, in part due to the hospital’s new electronic health record system.MD Anderson president Ronald DePinho said they accepted fewer patients and hired more staff to implement the system, “so the decreased revenue from the decreased productivity plus the increased expenses add up to the delta that we have to correct.”He said the hospital’s long-term financial health is strong.The hope is to achieve some of the staff reductions through voluntary retirements.It will save MD Anderson $120 million a year. Share
Monuments to Stonewall Jackson and Robert E. Lee stand outside the Baltimore Museum of Art. (Photo/Beau Considine/Creative Commons via Flickr)One of the members of the Special Commission to Review Baltimore’s Public Confederate Monuments spoke to The AFRO about the group’s decision to remove two such fixtures.The commission on Jan. 14 voted in favor of removing two of the monuments: the Rodger B. Taney Monument in Mount Vernon and the Robert E. Lee and Thomas J “Stonewall” Jackson Monument in Wyman Park. The group recommended that two other monuments—the Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument and the Confederate Women’s Monument—remain in place with the addition of some educational signage.Commission member Larry Gibson said that the group wanted the monument honoring Rodger B. Taney, the fifth Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, gone due primarily to his decision in the Dred Scott v. Sandford case.“Taney is most famous for his decision in the Dred Scott case, which advanced slavery in America and is tied to the Confederate cause,” the commission wrote on its website.“What he said was that Black people aren’t really fully human beings,” Gibson said. “He deserves a place in infamy.”Gibson said that the commission also looked at “proportionality” when evaluating what monuments should stay or go.“There are three confederate monuments. There certainly shouldn’t be three,” he said. In Baltimore, Gibson said, there is just one monument to the Vietnam War, one remembering the Korean War and one for World War I. “It’s just out of proportion to have three for the Confederacy.”They said they decided to recommend that the city remove the monument featuring Lee and Jackson because the two men had no ties to Maryland.“Neither Jackson or Lee were Marylanders and didn’t do anything admirable to Maryland,” he said. He said that it might be better to put that monument in the spot where the actual meeting took place. “We are recommending to the city that the city give it to the U.S. Parks Service,” he said.Gibson said the remaining statues could be of value to the city less as an honor to the Southern cause in the Civil War, but as teaching tools. He said that many of the statues seen in Baltimore and throughout the southern states were products of the “Lost Cause” movement, which took place in the early part of the 20th century—well after the Civil War. During this time, southern sympathizers looked to recast the Civil War as a conflict not about slavery or racism but one fought for Southern culture and values.“They painted a false image of slavery, presenting it as a much more sanguine and less horrendous activity than what it was,” Gibson said.Howard Libit, a spokesperson for Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, said commission members must submit a formal report to the mayor, who will have the final say. He said that the mayor’s office hopes to have the final report by the spring.Members of the seven-member panel began meeting in September to decide the fate of the monuments. Over the last few months, they have heard from historians, educators and members of the public.
Explore further © 2010 PhysOrg.com More information: Host and viral ecology determine bat rabies seasonality and maintenance, PNAS, Published online before print June 6, 2011, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1010875108AbstractRabies is an acute viral infection that is typically fatal. Most rabies modeling has focused on disease dynamics and control within terrestrial mammals (e.g., raccoons and foxes). As such, rabies in bats has been largely neglected until recently. Because bats have been implicated as natural reservoirs for several emerging zoonotic viruses, including SARS-like corona viruses, henipaviruses, and lyssaviruses, understanding how pathogens are maintained within a population becomes vital. Unfortunately, little is known about maintenance mechanisms for any pathogen in bat populations. We present a mathematical model parameterized with unique data from an extensive study of rabies in a Colorado population of big brown bats (Eptesicus fuscus) to elucidate general maintenance mechanisms. We propose that life history patterns of many species of temperate-zone bats, coupled with sufficiently long incubation periods, allows for rabies virus maintenance. Seasonal variability in bat mortality rates, specifically low mortality during hibernation, allows long-term bat population viability. Within viable bat populations, sufficiently long incubation periods allow enough infected individuals to enter hibernation and survive until the following year, and hence avoid an epizootic fadeout of rabies virus. We hypothesize that the slowing effects of hibernation on metabolic and viral activity maintains infected individuals and their pathogens until susceptibles from the annual birth pulse become infected and continue the cycle. This research provides a context to explore similar host ecology and viral dynamics that may explain seasonal patterns and maintenance of other bat-borne diseases. This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. George conducted a five year field study looking at big brown bats from Colorado. Using data from the study and a mathematical model, the team looked at the incubation period of the virus and the bats hibernation period and determined that three main factors play a role in the survival of the bats. The three factors are a long viral incubation period, the bat’s hibernation, and a large supply of newborn bats in the spring and summer.According to the study, an infected bat will enter into hibernation. This hibernation period slows the body’s metabolism and thus slows the progression of the rabies. This insures that the bat and the virus do not die during this period of time. When spring arrives and hibernation is over, the bats then roost and give birth to their young. This takes place in large colonies, creating a breeding ground for the virus. With numerous bats in one area grooming and nipping at each other, it creates a perfect environment for the virus to spread.When compared to data provided from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on rabies peaks and juvenile deaths in the summer, the teams model seems to hold true.The model also shows that if hibernation were to be taken out of the picture, the virus and the bats would go extinct. Citation: Hibernation keeps rabies going in bats (2011, June 7) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2011-06-hibernation-rabies.html (PhysOrg.com) — In a new study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, infectious disease biologist Dylan George from Colorado State University reports that a bat’s hibernation is what keeps the rabies virus alive and does not wipe out the bat before the virus can spread. Study focuses on bats’ hibernation periods