Tag: 夜上海论坛LJ

Governor Wolf Announces Resource Guide to Help Evacuees from Puerto Rico and Other Devastated Areas

first_img December 18, 2017 Education,  Human Services,  National Issues,  Press Release,  Weather Safety Harrisburg, PA – With thousands of people fleeing the aftermath of natural disasters earlier this year in the southeastern U.S. and Puerto Rico, Governor Tom Wolf today announced the release of a new resource guide from the departments of Education, Health and Human Services to help school districts and communities welcome and assist those who have been displaced.“After hurricanes devastated portions of the southeastern U.S. and Puerto Rico, communities across Pennsylvania have been opening their arms to help those who have lost everything,” said Governor Wolf. “That spirit of compassion is part of the fabric of our commonwealth and this new resource guide gives schools and local organizations the information they need to help the evacuees to get back on their feet.”Nearly three months after Hurricane Maria struck Puerto Rico, electricity is still out in some areas and thousands of businesses are closed, forcing tens of thousands of people to leave the U.S. territory, including thousands of students sheltering in Pennsylvania.“Many of the people fleeing Puerto Rico and other devastated areas are children who have lost everything,” said Education Secretary Pedro A. Rivera. “Those children need and deserve a good education and schools across the state are up to the challenge. This guide provides a one-stop-shop of information about resources to help those school districts as well as the students and their families.”The Department of Education created the School Resource Guide for Disaster Evacuees in collaboration with the departments of Human Services and Health. The guide provides information for students from pre-kindergarten to postsecondary education on a wide range of topics from the Homeless Education Assistance and Pre-K Counts programs to nutrient, health care and the state university system.“This guide is a perfect example of the Wolf administration coming together to help individuals in need – a true testament to a government that works,” said DHS Secretary Teresa Miller. “As more displaced individuals enter the commonwealth, we must ensure that they have access to high-quality services and supports during this stressful transition.”“Pennsylvania stands ready to help families of evacuees,” Acting Health Secretary and Physician General Dr. Rachel Levine said, “Pennsylvania has resources through our Women, Infants and Children (WIC) programs, as well as through our State Health Centers to make sure evacuees stay healthy.”The School Resource Guide for Disaster Evacuees is available online and has distributed to local education agencies across the commonwealth. The guide is available in both English and Spanish, and includes pamphlets that may be distributed to students and their parents.A second toolkit, which will include information from additional state agencies and will support Pennsylvanians outside of the school system, is forthcoming. That toolkit will include information on enrolling children in school, finding disaster assistance, feeding programs, or health information, as well as other community and state supports. Governor Wolf Announces Resource Guide to Help Evacuees from Puerto Rico and Other Devastated Areascenter_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

Read More

Wellington Recreation Commission celebrate ground breaking of new addition

first_imgFollow us on Twitter. Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments (3) Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings Sort by: Date Rating Last Activity Loading comments… You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. +6 Vote up Vote down Nonya · 321 weeks ago Much needed Report Reply 0 replies · active 321 weeks ago +5 Vote up Vote down Redress · 321 weeks ago congratulations enjoy Report Reply 0 replies · active 321 weeks ago +4 Vote up Vote down WHSmom · 321 weeks ago happy happy happy….much needed Report Reply 0 replies · active 321 weeks ago Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments by Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow — It was a big day for the Wellington Recreation Commission. A groundbreaking was held for a new addition for a rec center Tuesday morning on the west lot adjacent to the current WRC Center.Wellington board member Hankie Holefelder announced today to more than 30 well wishers that this was a culmination of a 20 year search for improved rec facilities for the community. The target date for the opening the new addition is set for the first week of April, 2015.Then the soil was turned by board members Holdfelder, Betty Zeka, Matt Barton, and Tami McCue; WRC director Cody White, former WRC Director Kenny Everhart, and WRC assistant director Marcine Goodrum; and architect Martin Hanney of Hanney & Associates. Applause followed.White said Caro Construction of Wichita will be building the new addition and he expects it to be a 300-day process. In November, the WRC board had hoped that the construction process would have started in January, but that the bid process took longer than expected, White said.“I know when we started looking at building here in Wellington, I didn’t have gray hair,” Hanney joked. As far back as 1994, a proposal for a new WRC facility was featured in the Wellington Daily News. Since then, the WRC has looked at various locations throughout the community, and even brought one proposal to the city voters in November 2008 to refurbish Memorial Auditorium into a rec center.That proposal was soundly defeated by almost a 5-to-1 margin.Since then the board has looked at several options including building a new facility or moving into and remodeling other facilities like the old Apple Market building, the First Southern Baptist Church, Tibbs Furniture building and the Wellington Junior High building.Members of the WRC board and staff at ground breaking from left: Martin Hanney, Hankie Holefelder, Cody White, Betty Zeka, Matt Barton, Tami McCue, Marcine Goodrum and Ken Everhart.In the end, upon the recommendation of Hanney, the board decided expanding the current facility was the most economically feasible option, White said back in 2012.The new two-story rec facility addition at the 200 block of West Lincoln will include a new fitness center, locker rooms, conference rooms, art rooms, and offices. The current facility will also get some renovation.In November 2013,  the Wellington City Council acted as “guarantor” which directed the Wellington Public Building Commission to issue 20 year bonds not to exceed $990,000 for a $1.89 million Wellington Recreation Commission Center expansion. This came at no expense to the city, but will be paid through the existing 5 mill levies designed to the WRC over the next 20 years.The architectural drawing of the facility is as follows (For full size renderings of the drawings click here) :last_img read more

Read More

Zach LaVine clutch freethrows lift Bulls past Hornets

first_imgChicago Bulls guard Zach LaVine (8) hangs on the rim after dunking the ball against the Charlotte Hornets during the second half of a NBA basketball game Wednesday, Oct. 24, 2018, in Chicago. The Bulls won 112-110. (AP Photo/David Banks)CHICAGO — After missing one potential winning shot in the final seconds, Zach LaVine was determined to give himself another opportunity.He made good on the second chance.ADVERTISEMENT Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil View comments LATEST STORIES Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Chicago stretched the advantage to 85-74 with 2 1/2 minutes left in the third on a 3-pointer by Payne — his fifth of the quarter.The lead was 88-78 with a minute remaining in the third before Charlotte ran off 11 straight points — capped by Tony Parker’s jumper — to grab an 89-88 edge with 10 1/2 minutes to play in the fourth.After the teams traded baskets and the lead for a few minutes, the Hornets seemingly took control with a 103-98 lead with 5 1/2 left. The Bulls, though, rallied to tie it at 105 on a Payne 3-pointer with 3:34 to play.That set the stage for LaVine’s stretch drive.“I love his attack,” Bulls coach Fred Hoiberg said. “I love the way he goes after the rim and gets into the paint.”CAN’T MISSLaVine actually tried to miss the second free throw with 0.5 seconds left, but his awkward line drive bounced off the rim and through. “That’s crazy, right?” he said. “I really tried to miss that. It was only point-5 seconds left, so if I would have got it off the rim, the game would have been over.”KEEP SHOOTINGPayne, starting in place of injured Kris Dunn, missed both of his shots in the first half before getting hot. “My mentality was just to keep being aggressive and Zach kept finding me,” Payne said.TIP-INS Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California collegecenter_img Cameron Payne scored all of his career-high 21 points in the second half, going 7 for 11 on 3 pointers for Chicago in the opener of the home-and-home set with the Hornets.Kemba Walker had 23 points on 5-for-14 shooting for Charlotte.“I thought we missed some open looks, but they did a great job on the defensive end,” Walker said. “They play hard. They really deserve that win.”The Bulls had a 54-53 halftime lead mainly thanks to 35 bench points. Jabari Parker had nine, and Cristiano Felicio and Chandler Hutchison had eight apiece. The trio combined to go 10 for 14 from the field. Before Wednesday, Felicio hadn’t played this season and Hutchison had a total of three points in two games.“We just did not defend well enough in the first half,” Charlotte coach James Borrego said. “That was unacceptable defense. Especially when shots aren’t falling, you got to be on your defense.”ADVERTISEMENT Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Kawhi Leonard stars anew as Raptors match franchise-best start at 5-0 Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum LaVine made two free throws with 0.5 seconds left to give the Chicago Bulls their first victory of the season, 112-110 over the Charlotte Hornets on Wednesday night.With the score tied at 110, LaVine missed a jumper with seven seconds left. Charlotte called time to set up a potential winning play, but LaVine forced a turnover on the inbounds pass, giving Chicago the ball back with five seconds to play.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissHe was fouled driving to the basket to set up the winning free throws. He finished with 32 points for his fourth straight 30-point game to start the season.“I wasn’t going to miss again,” LaVine said. “They were going to have to foul me or I was going to get a dunk.” MOST READ Hornets: Borrego, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Walker each were assessed technical fouls in the first half.Bulls: F Bobby Portis injured his right knee early in the fourth quarter and did not return. He is scheduled to have an MRI on Thursday … Dunn sprained the MCL in his left knee on Monday against Dallas and will be sidelined four to six weeks. Dunn injured the knee in the second quarter, but continued to play, finishing with nine points and seven assists before fouling out.UP NEXTHornets: Host Chicago on Friday night.Bulls: At Charlotte on Friday night.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taallast_img read more

Read More

IT’S OVER! DONEGAL GROUP ADMITS IT HAS LOST PROPERTY TAX BOYCOTT CAMPAIGN

first_imgONE OF the leading groups campaigning against home taxes has admitted it has lost its boycott campaign.Can’t Pay Won’t Pay has said that it recognises that the boycott of the Property Tax has failed to attract sufficient numbers to remain viable.It says the campaign will now switch to one calling for the Property Tax to be abolished. This is the same position espoused by Sinn Fein. “We believe that a strong boycott of the Property Tax could have made it uncollectible, but unfortunately we were unable to convince home owners that it was possible. The powers given to the Revenue and the relentless media campaign demoralised many into thinking there was no point.” said CPWP spokesperson Michéal Cholm Mac Giolla Easbuig.“Our Steering Committee has met and decided that, while individually we will all continue to resist registration, we have to accept that too many have registered to make the boycott still viable. We will stand in solidarity with those who simply will not be able to afford to pay this unfair tax, bearing in mind that as many as a fifth of those who have registered have chosen to kick the can down the road by sticking it on their credit cards.“While we welcome support from others who will refuse to register before July 1st deadline, we must now state clearly that we see no prospect of winning the campaign at this stage through continuation of the boycott.“Those of us who will continue to hold out fully understand those who felt they had no choice but to register. Many who support our stance have contacted us to tell us that they have only very reluctantly paid up and are angry and frustrated. They feel betrayed by the political parties who either supported the Property Tax or failed to back the people who took a principled stand against it. “The Property Tax remains a hugely unpopular and controversial tax. People have only registered because of the threat of deduction at source and fear of falling foul of the Revenue and not because they support this tax. Public anger will only grow as people are asked to pay double the amount in only six months time and as the tax rises year on year. We will continue to campaign for the abolition of this hated tax.”“The Property Tax is only one strand of our campaign against austerity taxes. We will soon be faced with water charges. Can’t Pay Won’t Pay will be organising a boycott of water charges and will obstruct the installation of water meters where possible. We will also continue to support Septic Tank owners who will face inspections and the prospect of punitive costs for any modifications recommended by inspectors.” IT’S OVER! DONEGAL GROUP ADMITS IT HAS LOST PROPERTY TAX BOYCOTT CAMPAIGN was last modified: June 28th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:IT’S OVER! CAMPAIGN GROUP ADMITS IT HAS LOST PROPERTY TAX BOYCOTT CAMPAIGNlast_img read more

Read More