Tag: 上海夜网FV

Governor Wolf Announces Resource Guide to Help Evacuees from Puerto Rico and Other Devastated Areas

first_img December 18, 2017 Education,  Human Services,  National Issues,  Press Release,  Weather Safety Harrisburg, PA – With thousands of people fleeing the aftermath of natural disasters earlier this year in the southeastern U.S. and Puerto Rico, Governor Tom Wolf today announced the release of a new resource guide from the departments of Education, Health and Human Services to help school districts and communities welcome and assist those who have been displaced.“After hurricanes devastated portions of the southeastern U.S. and Puerto Rico, communities across Pennsylvania have been opening their arms to help those who have lost everything,” said Governor Wolf. “That spirit of compassion is part of the fabric of our commonwealth and this new resource guide gives schools and local organizations the information they need to help the evacuees to get back on their feet.”Nearly three months after Hurricane Maria struck Puerto Rico, electricity is still out in some areas and thousands of businesses are closed, forcing tens of thousands of people to leave the U.S. territory, including thousands of students sheltering in Pennsylvania.“Many of the people fleeing Puerto Rico and other devastated areas are children who have lost everything,” said Education Secretary Pedro A. Rivera. “Those children need and deserve a good education and schools across the state are up to the challenge. This guide provides a one-stop-shop of information about resources to help those school districts as well as the students and their families.”The Department of Education created the School Resource Guide for Disaster Evacuees in collaboration with the departments of Human Services and Health. The guide provides information for students from pre-kindergarten to postsecondary education on a wide range of topics from the Homeless Education Assistance and Pre-K Counts programs to nutrient, health care and the state university system.“This guide is a perfect example of the Wolf administration coming together to help individuals in need – a true testament to a government that works,” said DHS Secretary Teresa Miller. “As more displaced individuals enter the commonwealth, we must ensure that they have access to high-quality services and supports during this stressful transition.”“Pennsylvania stands ready to help families of evacuees,” Acting Health Secretary and Physician General Dr. Rachel Levine said, “Pennsylvania has resources through our Women, Infants and Children (WIC) programs, as well as through our State Health Centers to make sure evacuees stay healthy.”The School Resource Guide for Disaster Evacuees is available online and has distributed to local education agencies across the commonwealth. The guide is available in both English and Spanish, and includes pamphlets that may be distributed to students and their parents.A second toolkit, which will include information from additional state agencies and will support Pennsylvanians outside of the school system, is forthcoming. That toolkit will include information on enrolling children in school, finding disaster assistance, feeding programs, or health information, as well as other community and state supports. Governor Wolf Announces Resource Guide to Help Evacuees from Puerto Rico and Other Devastated Areascenter_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

Read More

O’Neill: No contact for Ireland job

first_img The 61-year-old Northern Irishman, who represented his country 64 times as a midfielder, has been out of work since leaving the Black Cats in March and became the overwhelming bookmakers’ favourite to replace Giovanni Trapattoni as Republic boss when the Italian was sacked on Wednesday. But when speaking to Sir Clive Woodward on BBC Radio Five Live on Thursday evening, O’Neill gave the link short shrift, saying: “I have had no contact whatsoever from anyone at the Irish FA at this moment and there’s not much more I can say about it.” Press Association Former Sunderland and Aston Villa manager Martin O’Neill says he has not been contacted over the vacant management role with the Republic of Ireland. Delaney said: “It would be an interesting appointment, but it’s probably inappropriate for me to comment on individuals because if I start talking about one being ruled in or ruled out, that wouldn’t be correct for me. “We are going to get a new manager and that manager’s objectives will be to get us to the European Championship in 2016. “Football, as we all know, tends to surprise us, but I wouldn’t read anything in to someone being a favourite or not being a favourite.” Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert believes O’Neill is an ideal candidate. He said: “There’s no doubt about it, he could do the job standing on his head. No problem. “I’ve always said he’s a fantastic manager and it would be up to him whether he’d want to go into international football or go back to club football. I don’t know but whoever takes him has got a great manager.” It is, however, understood the Ulsterman is open to an approach, while former Ireland manager Mick McCarthy, currently in charge at Ipswich, has not distanced himself from speculation linking him to the vacancy. Whoever the new Republic of Ireland manager is, he could face a baptism of fire in Germany. Football Association of Ireland chief executive John Delaney has admitted that, in an ideal world, he would like to have Trapattoni’s replacement in place in time for next month’s World Cup qualifiers against Group C leaders Germany – who won 6-1 at the Aviva Stadium in October last year – and Kazakhstan. Delaney told Sky Sports News: “Ideally it would be nice to have a manager in place for the games in October, but that’s not a must because it’s 12 months until we play our first European qualifiers in September. “It’s important that we get the right man in so we qualify for France 2016.” Ireland’s hopes of reaching the World Cup finals in Brazil are virtually over with a six-point gap behind second-placed Sweden with two games remaining. Norwich boss Chris Hughton and Leeds counterpart Brian McDermott, who were both mentioned – along with O’Neill, McCarthy and Roy Keane – by Delaney as prospective candidates in a radio interview on Wednesday, have ruled themselves out. The Keane camp was remaining tight-lipped on Thursday, and Delaney would not be drawn on his chances of being appointed after his infamous departure from Saipan before the 2002 World Cup finals. last_img read more

Read More

Daryl Gross discusses decision to step down as director of athletics, future role at Syracuse

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Daryl Gross thinks it’s a great time for Syracuse University’s athletic department to go in a new direction, he said in an interview Friday with The Daily Orange.Gross stepped down as director of athletics Wednesday after 10 years in the role. He will now serve as vice president and special assistant to the chancellor, and will also teach sport management as an adjunct professor in the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics. In his time as athletic director, SU moved from the Big East to the Atlantic Coast Conference and had success in Olympic sports. The school was also the subject of a nearly eight-year NCAA investigation, the results of which were released in the Committee on Infractions’ report on March 6.Gross said the decision to step down wasn’t to avoid the report, but he added that the timing “plays into it brilliantly.”“It wasn’t like because there’s an NCAA problem I’m going to step aside. That’s not the reason,” Gross said. “But the noise that comes from that, there’s no reason for us to have any negativity for this program because it’s too good of a program.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“And for me, I feel like this would be a great time to let that noise just get behind us and go a new direction.”He added that the typical tenure for an athletic director is about four and a half or five years at one place. In his 10 years on the job, Gross said the athletic department got a lot done, and that he’s happy with what the department was able to accomplish. But, he said, it’s time to give the athletic department a fresh perspective, and to bring in someone with new ideas and a different philosophy.“And there’s nothing wrong with that,” Gross said. “This gives the athletic department a chance to get a different lens on it.”In Gross’s new role, he said he will focus on marketing and branding, which are his areas of expertise. In addition, he’ll teach sport management in Falk, where he said he’s excited to be able to share his experiences.In describing his transition from director of athletics to professor and special assistant, Gross used a sports analogy.“It’s like being in a NASCAR flying around the track race after race after race and trying to win at everything and off the field,” he said. “Now I can be part of the pit crew and try and help it from the outside and help the institution.” Comments Published on March 20, 2015 at 4:57 pm Contact Brett: blsamuel@syr.edu | @Brett_Samuels27last_img read more

Read More

Christopher Nickum, 37, Oxford: July 27, 1978 – Aug. 1, 2015

first_imgChris NickumChristopher Steven Nickum, 37, of Oxford died on August 1, 2015 in Gonzales, La.Funeral Services will be held 3 p.m. on Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at the Church of the Nazarene in Winfield. Visitation will be held Tuesday from 9 a.m. until 8 p.m. with the family receiving friends from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Oxford Funeral Service Chapel in Oxford. A memorial has been established with the Christopher Nickum Memorial Fund. Contributions can be left with the funeral home. For further information or to leave a condolence please visit www.oxfordfuneralservice.comChristopher Steven Nickum was born on July 27, 1978 the son of Steven and Peggy (Smith) Nickum in Denver, Colo. He was a 1997 graduate of Burden High School. Chris was united in marriage with Carrie Fleming on September 30, 2006. Chris worked as a boilermaker for many years doing a lot of traveling. He was an avid O.U. fan who loved sports. He liked to fish and boat and do anything outdoors. He enjoyed his friends and loved wrestling. Most of all he loved his family and being with his wife and sons.Surviving to honor his memory is his wife, Carrie Nickum of Oxford, Sons; Chris Smith, Johnathan Nickum, Isaac Phillips, Damien Phillips and Kyle Nickum, father Steven Nickum of Denver, CO, brother Curtis Nickum and wife Carrey of Winfield, nieces and nephews; Anna Fleming, Livia Fleming, Cyrus Fleming, McKenna Fleming, Jonathan Fleming, Savanna Nickum, Ethan Fleming, Jevin Fleming and Owen Nickum.Preceding him in death are his grandparents, mother, Peggy Smith and brother, Danny Burkhart.last_img read more

Read More