December 18, 2017 Education, Human Services, National Issues, Press Release, Weather Safety Harrisburg, PA – With thousands of people fleeing the aftermath of natural disasters earlier this year in the southeastern U.S. and Puerto Rico, Governor Tom Wolf today announced the release of a new resource guide from the departments of Education, Health and Human Services to help school districts and communities welcome and assist those who have been displaced.“After hurricanes devastated portions of the southeastern U.S. and Puerto Rico, communities across Pennsylvania have been opening their arms to help those who have lost everything,” said Governor Wolf. “That spirit of compassion is part of the fabric of our commonwealth and this new resource guide gives schools and local organizations the information they need to help the evacuees to get back on their feet.”Nearly three months after Hurricane Maria struck Puerto Rico, electricity is still out in some areas and thousands of businesses are closed, forcing tens of thousands of people to leave the U.S. territory, including thousands of students sheltering in Pennsylvania.“Many of the people fleeing Puerto Rico and other devastated areas are children who have lost everything,” said Education Secretary Pedro A. Rivera. “Those children need and deserve a good education and schools across the state are up to the challenge. This guide provides a one-stop-shop of information about resources to help those school districts as well as the students and their families.”The Department of Education created the School Resource Guide for Disaster Evacuees in collaboration with the departments of Human Services and Health. The guide provides information for students from pre-kindergarten to postsecondary education on a wide range of topics from the Homeless Education Assistance and Pre-K Counts programs to nutrient, health care and the state university system.“This guide is a perfect example of the Wolf administration coming together to help individuals in need – a true testament to a government that works,” said DHS Secretary Teresa Miller. “As more displaced individuals enter the commonwealth, we must ensure that they have access to high-quality services and supports during this stressful transition.”“Pennsylvania stands ready to help families of evacuees,” Acting Health Secretary and Physician General Dr. Rachel Levine said, “Pennsylvania has resources through our Women, Infants and Children (WIC) programs, as well as through our State Health Centers to make sure evacuees stay healthy.”The School Resource Guide for Disaster Evacuees is available online and has distributed to local education agencies across the commonwealth. The guide is available in both English and Spanish, and includes pamphlets that may be distributed to students and their parents.A second toolkit, which will include information from additional state agencies and will support Pennsylvanians outside of the school system, is forthcoming. That toolkit will include information on enrolling children in school, finding disaster assistance, feeding programs, or health information, as well as other community and state supports. Governor Wolf Announces Resource Guide to Help Evacuees from Puerto Rico and Other Devastated Areas SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
SHARE Email Facebook Twitter June 29, 2018 Education, Infrastructure, Press Release Harrisburg, PA – Today, Governor Tom Wolf was joined by Mayor Jim Kenney, members of Philadelphia’s legislative delegation and Philadelphia School District leaders to announce $15.6 million in joint funding for lead, mold and asbestos removal at 57 school buildings.“The safety of our children should always be a priority and our schools must be healthy environments where students and teachers can focus on learning and building bright futures,” said Governor Wolf. “The combination of this state and district funding will make the classrooms and hallways safer at dozens of schools and improve the lives of hundreds of thousands of children in the city.”Of the $15.6 million, the commonwealth is providing $7.6 million for lead paint remediation at 40 schools in the city, and the school district is investing $8 million to remove lead paint, mold and asbestos. In total, improvements will be made to 57 schools.“Today is a great day for the children of Philadelphia. The condition of many of the buildings in our school district is dire and this financial injection comes at the right time to address their needs,” said Senator Vince Hughes. “We need to do all we can to rid our schools of health threats, improve conditions and create exceptional learning environments. The more than $15 million investment that begins the cleanup of toxic conditions in Philadelphia schools is long overdue and it’s a huge win for our children. This is a great start, but we know there is more work to do in modernizing our schools.”The governor and local leaders made the announcement during a news conference at Roosevelt Elementary School, which will undergo lead paint, mold and asbestos remediation.“Governor Wolf should be commended for stepping up and helping the students of Philadelphia.” said Maria P. Donatucci, Chairwoman of the Philadelphia House Delegation. “In 2018, no child should be at risk of lead poisoning and no parent should have to worry that their children are at risk when they go to school. With Governor Wolf’s announcement of $7.6 million in state funds for remediation, along with a major investment by the School District of Philadelphia, we not only protect our children and their teachers from the dangers of lead, but we take a step in the right direction to improve the education and lives of the students who live and thrive in the City of Philadelphia.”Approximately 90 percent of schools in the district were built before 1978, when the federal government banned the residential use of lead-based paint. Lead from paint, including lead-contaminated dust, is one of the most common causes of lead poisoning.“Members of the Philadelphia delegation has been advocating for a closer look at how lead, mold and asbestos is dealt with in our school for several years,” said Rep. Stephen Kinsey. “We’ve been educating parents on the importance of getting their children tested but, thanks to Governor Wolf, today we’re taking a step further. I’m glad that we were able to secure funding to address this very important health concern.”“I have been a lead poisoning prevention and awareness advocate for years, but I didn’t think I would ever experience it first-hand,” Rep. Donna Bullock said. “Several years ago, my youngest son was tested and found to have had lead in his blood. Luckily, it was caught early, and he was able to get treatment. I cannot stress enough the importance of testing our children early. I’m glad to see that we are taking a proactive approach to tackle this epidemic and protect our children.”“We are thankful to Governor Wolf, Mayor Kenney, Senator Hughes, and all of our elected officials for making this funding available to our schools,” said Dr. William R. Hite, Superintendent. “The health and safety of our students is critical. No matter where they live, our children deserve to learn in vibrant spaces that are welcoming and modernized. We are excited to be able to accelerate our previously planned summer work so that we can make the major renovations and improvements that will best serve our school communities.” Governor Wolf, Philadelphia Officials Announce $15.6 Million to Improve Conditions at City Schools
USC baseball dropped its single mid-week matchup with UC Irvine Tuesday 6-5 at Dedeaux Field as their season record dropped to 18-21. Though UC Irvine began the game with a 2-0 lead in the first inning, a well-executed offense from the Trojans tied the score immediately in the bottom of the inning. Lead off batter junior left fielder Corey Dempster walked to get on first base, stole second base, advanced to third base due to a ground out from David Oppenheimer and was able to cross home after another ground out from junior Jeremy Martinez. With the bases clear, the next batter, sophomore center fielder Timmy Robinson, tacked on the game-tying run with a monstrous solo home run to left field. While roughed up in the first inning, giving up two runs off four singles and a balk, freshman pitcher CJ. Stubbs recovered in the second inning in highlight-worthy fashion when he quickly adjusted to a wizzing line drive hit by John Brontsema right back at him, with a nifty catch and strut towards first base for the easy toss to the freshman Dillon Paulson for the third out. Stubbs would remain in the contest to throw three scoreless innings and permit only two more hits. The top of the batting lineup continued to be effective when USC took its first lead of the game in the bottom of the second inning after Robinson’s double to left field brought in Oppenheim and Dempster to give the Trojans a 4-2 lead.USC added to its lead in the fourth inning when a double from Martinez to left center field scored Oppenheim. With a three score lead going into the fifth inning, head coach Dan Hubbs handed the ball off to reliever senior Brent Wheatley, who proved immediately effective in his sole inning of the game. But things did not work out so smoothly for the next USC pitcher, junior Andrew Wright, who, in the sixth inning. hit Jonathan Munoz and walked Grant Palmer. Though Wright was able get batter Adam Alcantara out on a fly ball to right field, Munoz to advance to third base and in position to score off an error by junior second baseman Frankie Rios. By the end of the inning, USC’s lead had been cut to 5-4. UC Irvine wasted no time completing its come back rally in the seventh inning, tying the game at 5-5 and taking its first lead of the contest since the first inning in what would turn out to be the game deciding score when Munoz hit an RBI single to left center field. In the ninth inning, senior pitcher Brooks Kriske did his part to give the Trojans offense the best chance to win, striking out two batters in a scoreless inning for UC Irvine. But despite getting two runners on base in their half of the ninth, the Trojans failed to drive in either to end the game.USC will host Arizona in a pivotal three- game Pac-12 series beginning Thursday at Dedeaux Field.
Kip Keino (AP Photo/File)Kenyan distance-running great Kip Keino is one of seven suspects in a corruption investigation and has been ordered to report to police by the end of Monday to face charges of embezzlement and the misappropriation of more than $545,000.The two-time Olympic champion and honorary member of the International Olympic Committee is accused of playing a role in the misuse of money meant for Kenyan athletes at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics, when he was chairman of the Kenyan Olympic committee.The money was part of more than $5 million given to Keino’s Olympic committee by the Kenyan government to fund Team Kenya in Rio.But prosecutors allege Keino was at the head of an Olympic committee rife with corruption.The 78-year-old Keino was one of seven former Olympic and government officials named as suspects in the investigation. Two other high-ranking former Kenyan Olympic committee officials were named, as was the former Kenyan minister of sport, Hassan Wario, and three ministry officials who worked under him.The seven are all accused of embezzling more than $200,000, wasting more than $150,000 on unused air tickets to Rio, overpaying allowances amounting to nearly $150,000 and incurring tens of thousands of dollars of other expenditure on “unauthorized persons.”Director of public prosecutions Noordin Haji said the directorate of criminal investigations (DCI), a special crimes unit, had been investigating since late 2016. After nearly two years, Haji said he was “satisfied that there is sufficient evidence” to now charge the seven with multiple counts of corruption and abuse of office.Saturday’s announcement implicated one of Kenya’s most revered runners.Keino’s gold in the 1,500 meters at the 1968 Mexico Olympics — 50 years ago now — paved the way for decades of dominance by Kenyan distance runners. He was named in track and field’s international hall of fame in its inaugural year in 2012 alongside the likes of Jesse Owens, Carl Lewis and Sebastian Coe, the current president of the IAAF.Keino was also honored at the opening ceremony at the 2016 Rio Games, the first recipient of the Olympic Laurel award for service to the Olympic movement.Now, he and the others have until the end of Monday to report to the headquarters of the DCI or warrants will be issued for their arrests.Keino has not responded to the accusations.In August, Kenyan athletics federation secretary general and IAAF Council member David Okeyo was banned for life by world track and field body the IAAF for embezzling hundreds of thousands of dollars of sponsorship money paid to his federation by Nike.Public prosecutor Haji said he had also ordered further investigations into the Olympic committee’s use of its Nike sponsorship money.